The Biosignal Processing group develops automatic analysis methods of sensor-based physiological signals from clinical practice.
These cover the full spectrum of signal processing, from classical methods of time series analysis to data-driven deep learning methods. In addition to the development and improvement of existing diagnostic methods, the group also conducts research in the area of fundamental signal processing issues. In both basic and applied research, great emphasis is placed on reproducibility and explainability, and data as well as algorithms are made publicly available. The group also participates in clinical trials and third-party funded research projects. The focus is on the application of the developed solutions together with clinical partners (e.g. cardiology, sleep medicine, anesthesiology). Further activities of the group are in the out-of-hospital context such as the processing of privately collected data via wearables or apps.
In addition, we develop tools and platforms for collaborative research and perspective clinical practice.
Cooperation and memberships
The group is closely connected to the WG Medical Image and Signal Processing of the German Society for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology (GMDS) as well as the Biosignals Expert Committee of the German Society for Biomedical Engineering (DGBMT). Likewise, the group is involved in the Young DZHK junior researcher network of the German Center for Cardiovascular Research (DZHK). On the international level, she is active in the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) and chairs the German EMBS Chapter.
Presentations in 2022
08/2022: GMDS Annual Meeting, Poster (Theresa Bender)
08/2022: Workshop Biosignals, Keynote (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
09/2022: Computing in Cardiology, Poster (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
09/2022: YDZHK Retreat, Talk (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
09/2022: Infinity Conference, Poster (Dr. Nicolai Spicher) / Talk (Theresa Bender)
09/2022: Joint Annual Conference of the Austrian, German and Swiss Societies for Biomedical Engineering, Talk (Theresa Bender) / Organized session (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
Presentations in 2023
03/2023: SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, Talk (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
05/2023: Medical Informatics Europe 2023, Talk (Theresa Bender)
06/2023: CIDAS Data Science Kolloquium, Talk (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
07/2023: 45th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Panel (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
08/2023: 2nd IEEE German Education Conference, Talk (Theresa Bender), Workshop (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
09/2023: 68. Jahrestagung der GMDS, Organized session (Dr. Nicolai Spicher), Poster (Asmus Bart), Poster (Dr. Ennio Idrobo-Avila),
09/2023: 57. Jahrestagung der DGBMT, Talk (Theresa Bender), Vortrag (Dr. Henning Dathe), Poster (Philip Gemke), Organized session (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
09/2023: YDZHK Retreat, Poster (Philip Gemke), Poster (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
10/2023: CINC 2023, Poster (Philip Gemke), Poster (Philip Zaschke)
11/2023: Institut für Medizinische Statistik, Informatik und Datenwissenschaften des Universitätsklinikum Jena, Invited talk (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
11/2023: Ubiquitous Computing Lab, HTWG Konstanz, Invited talk (Dr. Nicolai Spicher)
12/2023: Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Schlafforschung und Schlafmedizin, Invited talk (Theresa Bender)
12/2023: IEEE EMBS International Conference on Data Science and Engineering in Healthcare, Medicine & Biology, Poster (Philip Gemke)
The group offers the course "Biosignal Processing" in the winter semester in the B.Sc. programs Applied Computer Science and Data Science. In addition, Bachelor's, Master's, and Ph.D. theses on our research topics are offered at any time: Topic Collection. If you are interested, please contact us.
- International Summer School BIO-X Fellowship 2023 (Dr. Idrobo-Avila)
- GGNB Travel Grant 2023 (Philip Gemke)
- DAAD RISE Award 2023 (Theresa Bender)
- GWDG Data Science Summer School 2023 (Philip Zaschke)
- George B. Moody PhysioNet Challenge 2023 best team name
- George B. Moody PhysioNet Challenge 2023 placement 8
- Nolte H, Spicher N, Russel A, Ehlers T, Krey S, Krefting D, Kunkel J. Secure HPC: A workflow providing a secure partition on an HPC system. Future Generation Computer Systems. 2022; 141:677-691.
- Bender T, Gemke P, Idrobo-Avila E, Dathe H, Krefting D, Spicher N. Benchmarking the Impact of Noise on Deep Learning-based Classification of Atrial Fibrillation in 12-Lead ECG. In: 33rd Medical Informatics Europe Conference , Gothenburg, Sweden; 2023.
- Gemke P, Spicher N, Kacprowski T. Developing an LSTM-based Listener for Early Detection of Heart Disease. In: Proceedings of the 49th Computing in Cardiology conference, Tampere, Finland; 2022.
- Bender N, Beinecke JM, Krefting D, Müller C, Dathe H, Seidler T, Spicher N, Hauschild AC. Analysis of a Deep Learning Model for 12-Lead ECG Classification Reveals Learned Features Similar to Diagnostic Criteria. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2023
- Dathe H, Krefting D, Spicher N. Completing the Cabrera Circle: Deriving adaptable leads from ECG limb leads by combining constraints with a correction factor. Physiological Measurement. 2023.
- Theresa B, Krefting D, Jensen C, Spicher N. Introducing Social Gamification to a Biomedical Signal Processing Course: A Case Study. In: Proceedings of 2023 IEEE 2nd German Education Conference (GECon), Berlin, Germany; 2023.
- Bönisch C, Hanß S, Spicher N, Sax U, Krefting D. Reusing Biomedical Data as Agreed - Towards Structured Metadata for Data Use Agreements. In: 68th Annual Conference of the German Association for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology (GMDS 2023), Heilbronn, Germany; 2023.
- Gomez JT, Spicher N, Rios J, Dressler F. Fine-tune Circuit Representation of Human Vessels through Reinforcement Learning: A Novel Digital Twin Approach for Hemodynamics. In: 10th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (Nanocom 2023), Coventry, UK; 2023.
- Hempel P, Zaschke P, Goldammer M, Spicher N. Fusion of Features with Neural Networks for Prediction of Secondary Neurological Outcome After Cardiac Arrest. In: 50th Computing in Cardiology conference (CINC), Atlanta, USA; 2023.
- Gemke P, Bender T, Idrobo-Avila E, Dathe H, Krefting D, Kacprowski T, Spicher N. Quantifying Alterations over Time in ST-segment/T-wave Amplitudes During Elective Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. In: 50th Computing in Cardiology conference (CINC), Atlanta, USA; 2023.
Students, assistants and graduates
- Asmus Barth
- Robin Giese
- Leon Reimers
- Philip Zaschke
- Tabea Steinbrinker
- Sebastian Schmale
- Susann Bozkir (HAWK M.Eng. 2023)
- Keshav Gandhi (DAAD RISE 2023)
- Meike Knull (Trainee 2023)
- Luca Limburg (Trainee 2023)